This week’s ponderings:
What is your favorite ’80s horror flick?
The Howling –
Probably one of (if not THE) greatest werewolf movie ever
Prince of Darkness
– John Carpenter’s answer to particle physics and theology; TACHYONS!
– Franken-zombies! And a new spin on ‘giving head’.
Return of the Living Dead
– One word: “BRAAAAAAAAAINS!”
– Even though it’s not really like the book, so what! It’s still a classic.
– John Carpenter’s masterpiece (in this viewer’s humble opinion)
Friday the 13th
– Camp Crystal Lake, Jason and that delicious score. Teen sex = BAD.
The Lost Boys –
Look at that cast! Jason Patrick, Kiefer Sutherland, BOTH of the Coreys…
– Michael Meyers backs Jason up: Teen Sex = BAD!
Night of the Comet
– A much overlooked campy wonder; after a comet passes over Earth, anyone exposed turns into red dust. Everyone else becomes zombies.
– “They’re heeeeeeere.”
Day of the Dead
– 28 Days Later
rips off this Romero masterpiece.
Evil Dead –
Ash!!!!! (Before Sam Raimi was possessed by some hideous bad movie making demon)
A Nightmare on Elm Street –
The one, the only, Freddy. My favorite line (from Dream Warriors
): “Welcome to prime time, bitch!” Oh yeah, and TEEN SEX = BAD!
– Another one that doesn’t get enough love. The birth of ‘the vampire that lives next door’.
– Pinhead PWNS.
– Even better than the first movie, somehow all of these films stand the test of time and the special effects STILL kick ass. Ellen Ripley, you are my hero.
– If you haven’t seen this one, you really must. Hilarious horror comedy about a boy and his hungry twin brother…
Freaky ass car.
– Chucky! Before he was reduced to making jokes about latex and having babies, he was actually one creepy doll. “Let’s play TRANSFER THE SOUL!”
– Another classic; collaboration with the masters King and Romero brings to life EC comics from back in the ’50s (like Tales from the Crypt