Hello everybody – hope you all enjoyed the holidays. Can you believe 2014 is literally around the corner? This is going to be a fun week ahead of us as we post our Top 10 books of the year, as well as our favourite TV and movies and air our grievances for 2013!
Before saying anything else, here are a couple of winners from recent giveaways.
The winner of a copy of Linked + a choice of one of Imogen Howson’s top reads of 2013 is
IVANA (comment #137)
The winner of the Big Karen Mahoney Giveaway is
GIADA MARIANI (comment #52)
The winner of the Percy Jackson giveaway is
ANNA WIG (comment #41)
The winner of the Celine Kiernan illustration giveaway is
BRENDA (comment #16)
Congratulations to the winners! Send us an email (contact AT thebooksmugglers DOT com) with your snail mail address, and we’ll get your winnings out to you as soon as possible.
Speculative Fiction 2013 – Last Call for Submissions
Submissions period for Speculative Fiction 2013 – The Best Online Reviews, Essays and Commentary is coming to a close at the end of December so NOW is the time to submit all of those posts you have been collecting specially for the occasion (right?).
We highly encourage everyone to submit: be it your own posts or posts written by fellow readers, blogger or authors, we are looking for:
- Non-fiction reviews and essays (“works”) specific to some aspect of Speculative Fiction (science fiction, fantasy, horror, and everything and anything that falls under the broad genre umbrella), including but not limited to: books, movies, tv shows, games, comics, conventions, genre trends, and so on!
- The works MUST have been originally published online in the calendar year 2013.
- You may nominate works published by anyone online. (This includes bloggers, friends, bloggers who are friends, authors who blog, bloggers who are authors, alien life forms, cats, etc…)
- You may submit as many works as you like. (NO limit on nominations, peeps! The more the merrier!)
- Submitted works ideally should be between 800 and 1500 words (but that’s not mandatory, we’ll consider longer and shorter pieces).
- Submitted works can be from anywhere in the world, although we do need an English translation for consideration. We are VERY keen to receive submissions for non-US/UK based folks
- Please also note that we are VERY keen to receive submissions of works in the Middle Grade and Young Adult categories – we know there’s great SFF stuff being written in YA and MG!
- Do not be shy about submitting works published on non-exclusive SFF venues or in subgenres like Romantic SFF or Urban Fantasy.
The works that are chosen for the publication will be paid 1-cent/word for non-exclusive reprint rights, up to $10, on publication. All proceeds from book sales will be going to charity!
Submit your suggestions using the form below (or available online HERE). The form will be available throughout 2013 (on our navigation bar!) so you can go back to it if you find new stuff you want to submit.
If you have any questions please feel free to leave a comment here, or send us an email: contact AT thebooksmugglers DOT com.
Thanks, and happy linking, everyone!
This Week on The Book Smugglers:
Later today, Phoebe North, author of Starglass stops by to rave about her fave things of 2013. There will be an awesome giveaway of her book (and other cool stuff too!).
On Tuesday 31st, it is TIME FOR OUR MOST EXCELLENT BOOKS OF 2013!!!! Sorry about the all caps but we can’t wait to share our picks with you!
On Wednesday Jan 1st (HAPPY NEW YEAR!), the fabulous author and blogger Foz Meadows graces us with the first post of the year – a thoughtful exploration about how our society treats girls and the concept of beauty.
Then, on Thursday we talk about the best of the rest: TV, Movies, etc.
On Friday, it is time for another favourite Smugglivus Tradition: the Airing of Grievances. Hold your breath for ALL THE RANTING.
Finally, over the weekend, it’s Feats of Strength time!
Aaaaaaand that’s it from us today. We hope you get to enjoy week 5 of Smugglivus!
~ Your Friendly Neighbourhood Book Smugglers